Challenges Obtaining and Maintaining CCC Certification
Getting certification in a fast, expedient manner should be the goal for any certification plan regardless of whether it is required to get products released from China customs, or it has just been determined that the China market is a good fit for a new product line. There may be several roadblocks to a smooth certification process depending on the chosen path. The following obstacles have been known to slow product entry into the China market:
- Test samples are delayed in shipping, or get stuck in China customs
- Details get lost in translation from representative to Chinese certification agency
- Products malfunction or fail during testing
- Model number interpretations require multiple certifications
- Delays in scheduling or failures during initial factory inspection
- Certificates or certification standards expire, invalidating certification
How Can We Help?
G&M Compliance’s Beijing office was established in 2005. Our experienced personnel in both the U.S. and China utilize the following practices to achieve a fast and efficient certification experience:
- Assist in shipping samples, and maintain good relationships with customs clearance agencies to expedite the clearance process
- Rely on China team’s experience to communicate directly with customers and minimize communication gaps.
- Troubleshoot sample issues on-site, even during testing, to keep the process moving forward
- Keep up-to-date with changing model number requirements, and help devise model naming conventions to maximize certification coverage.
- Arranges for a timely factory inspection upon completion of testing, and provide a certified inspector to assist during factory inspections
- Track and alert customers of upcoming annual renewals of CCC certificates, label/mark certificates and annual factory inspections with G&M’s Certificate Alert and Tracking System (CATS)
For electrical products, depending on the type of equipment, certifications other than CCC may be required for China. Among these are SRRC for wireless products, CEL for products that have energy requirements, CCIS for products requiring information security certification, and NAL for equipment connecting to the public network. More detailed information can be found by clicking on the links to these specific services. For more information about what certifications are required for your product please contact us.
Sometimes it is difficult for China customs officials to determine whether certain product types require CCC or not. In cases where CCC does not apply to a certain product type, but China customs officials believe that it does, a CCC exemption notice will serve as the final determining factor. We have found that the most effective exemption notices come straight from Chinese certification bodies, and not from U.S. or European based testing agencies. Contact us for more information on CCC exemptions.
Mark – A CCC certification mark is required to be placed on the product
In-Country Representative: Not required
In-Country Testing: Required. Local testing is also possible, pending laboratory accreditation and periodic witness testing
Expiration Details – CCC Certificates are valid for 5 years after which time they need to be renewed. Renewal is generally a paperwork transaction with no need to send samples. For more information on tracking certifications please see our CATS page
Product Surveillance – Follow-up inspections are required, and generally occur once a year. Market surveillance is possible, generally for products sold retail