South Africa Product Certification
In order to sell electrical and electronic equipment in South Africa, there are four areas of product certification to consider:
- Safety: Product manufacturers must register with the National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications (NRCS) authority to demonstrate that the electronic products meet South African safety standards. The manufacturer or importer must receive a Letter of Authorization from the NRCS before the product reaches South African customs in order to enter the country successfully.
- Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC): Products must meet South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) requirements for EMC functionality in order to enter the South African market.
- Wireless: Electronic devices with wireless capabilities must meet standards set by the Independent Communication Authority of South Africa (ICASA). This applies to telecom equipment, WiFi devices, Bluetooth devices, RFID equipment, and other products with radio transmitters.
- Energy Efficiency: Energy efficiency standards may also apply to certain products sold in South Africa, but energy efficiency certification is not currently required to sell IT products in South Africa.
Most electronic devices sold in South Africa must be certified by the NRCS to show compliance with safety regulations. Other necessary certifications will depend on the product type and functionality; for example, products with telecom or radio components will likely need ICASA certification as well.
Kenya Product Certification
Electrical products using 50VDC or above must be certified by the Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) to legally enter the Kenyan market. KBES is responsible for reviewing applications and issuing Certificates of Conformity (CoC) to compliant products. KBES also reviews Pre-Export Verifications of Conformity (PVoC), assessments conducted in the exporting country that document compliance before shipping.
However, the certification process can vary based on how frequently the product is exported to Kenya. Products that are exported more than 10 times per year must be registered with KBES, and they must have a valid CoC, PVoC, and testing reports. Products that are exported fewer than 10 times per year must have a valid CoC, PVoC, and testing reports, but they are not required to register with KBES.
Products with radio and/or wireless capabilities are also subject to the Radio Type Approval scheme in Kenya, which is administered by the Communications Commission of Kenya.
Egypt Product Certification
Egypt only requires product certification for terminal, telecommunications, and radio communication equipment (including wireless devices). Certification for these products is handled by the National Telecommunication Regulatory Authority.
Algeria Product Certification
To export products to Algeria, you must submit a CoC (certificat de contrôle de qualité). This CoC must be issued in the exporting country and subsequently presented to Algerian authorities at customs.
Radio- and wireless-enabled devices must also meet Radio Type Approval requirements to enter Algeria.
G&M Compliance: Your Partner for Africa Product Certification
G&M Compliance is the experienced, efficient compliance partner you need to enter the African market. With different requirements for different countries—and different types of products—it pays to have an experienced professional on your side.
G&M Compliance will identify the right standards, local authorities, and certification process for your unique product(s). We strive to find a solution that makes it easy to expand into new territories and apply standards to new products in the future, so you can continue to grow your business. The compliance experts at G&M Compliance can help you:
- Certify a new product.
- Demonstrate compliance of existing products to enter a new region.
- Demonstrate compliance with new/updated standards.
- Track certification renewals and upcoming expirations.
- Troubleshoot certification challenges (and work with local authorities to resolve them).
If you’re ready to enter the African market, we can help. Contact G&M Compliance today to see how we can get your product to market faster.